Re: NAMD qm/mm: QM charge not integer

From: Rafael Bernardi (rcbernardi_at_auburn.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 14 2021 - 13:39:03 CST

Hello Chunli,

If I understand your question correctly, you have selected a QM region that has a 2.5 e- charge, right?

This is not what you are seeing as the result of a QM calculation, right?

If I am correct, than the answer is NO, you cannot do a QM/MM calculation with a QM region with charge = 2.5. That would mean calculating “half electron” in a QM code. Such thing does not exist.

Best

Rafael

Rafael C. Bernardi
Biophysics Cluster - Department of Physics at Auburn University
NIH Center for Macromolecular Modeling & Bioinformatics
rcbernardi_at_auburn.edu<mailto:rcbernardi_at_auburn.edu>
rcbernardi_at_ks.uiuc.edu<mailto:rcbernardi_at_ks.uiuc.edu>
www.ks.uiuc.edu/~rcbernardi<http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~rcbernardi>
+1 (334) 844-4393