Re: QMMM Question

From: Brian Radak (brian.radak_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2019 - 13:04:50 CST

Hi Kelly,

In general, I don't think there is a high opinion of minimal basis
semi-empirical methods for modeling multivalent ions in biological systems.
A d-orbital augmented method (e.g. MNDO/d or AM1/d) *might* do ok, but the
parameters probably don't exist and you would likely end up calibrating to
WFT/DFT. Personally, I would benchmark PM7 (or whatever) in this fashion
anyway, probably looking at ligand exchange energies, otherwise you risk a
harsh dismissal by a journal referee.

Cheers,
BKR

P.S. The QM/MM implementation in NAMD may also have trouble with highly
charged quantum regions due to the way long-range electrostatics are
handled. The ligands that coordinate your ion might matter a lot.