Re: Minimization Question

From: Gerard Rowe (GerardR_at_usca.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2018 - 13:08:00 CST

I had similar issues with PM7 QM/MM calculations with my model system. I don't know that it's particularly robust when dealing with open shell systems with unusual metal geometries. I frequently had SCF failures with a high-spin sextet system, and things weren't much better when I simplified to a low-spin doublet. As far as restraints go, you might want to inspect the force constants produced by the PM7 calculation. If they are unreasonably high, they can overcome the restraint placed on the atoms unless your restraint barrier multiplier is also unreasonably high.

Unfortunately, my only recourse was to fall back to DFT. Is it possible to substitute your copper with zinc in the semiempirical calculations? They're similar as long as you don't need to monitor redox behavior.