Re: Colvars Restraint Question

From: Brian Radak (brian.radak_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2018 - 14:01:23 CDT

This should be pretty clear from the user's guide.

Harmonic center of mass restraints operate on a scalar *distance*. The
first group is not anchored to a fixed point but rather to another point
defined by another group. I don't know the standard practice, but defining
group 2 as a dummy atom experiencing no forces and with no velocity would
constitute a fixed point. Maybe use fixedAtoms?

Also, you should generally keep center of mass selections as small as
possible for performance purposes.