Re: Fwd: FEP protein-ligand tutorial 2017 unclear section

From: Chris Chipot (chipot_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat May 05 2018 - 09:28:27 CDT

Let me, please, add my two cents here, starting with agreeing
wholeheartedly with Giacomo's message.

As indicated in section 2 of the tutorial,

For each value of lambdaSchedule and for each collective variable, dG/dλ
is computed. The free-energy contribution due to the restraint of
interest is obtained by integrating the gradient profile.

As for collecting the gradients, it is indicated in section 3 of the
tutorial,

grep "dA/dLambda" rest-01.log

Suffice, as JC suggests it, to pipe the latter with awk to extract the
relevant information, and,

integrate the gradients, using for instance XMGrace to recover the
associated free-energy profile

 From a broader perspective, while the authors of the tutorials, who
work on their free time to offer a service to the community, welcome
constructive comments aimed at improving their text, completion of the
tutorials requires a minimum effort from the users, which includes
reading the literature and getting familiarized with the different
concepts at hand. It would also be foolish to start with the
protein-ligand tutorial if completely unfamiliar with free-energy
calculations. More basic tutorials are available.

Chris Chipot

--
Chris Chipot
CNRS research director, University of Lorraine