Re: Energy Minimization failure for mutants

From: João Ribeiro (jribeiro_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2018 - 09:24:35 CDT

Dear Bargeen,

As a general procedure before starting any simulation, I would suggest
inspecting the system that you are about to simulate. Especially if you
have any sort of manipulation, like a mutation. Check if the confirmation
look sane, and you may make some measurements, like atoms' distance to make
sure that your structure is not too bad. Of course, some abnormalities will
be fixed during the minimization and equilibration, but others will not,
and it might need some additional manipulation before simulation. QwikMD,
like many other automated structure manipulation tools, tries to prevent
most of these issues, but it can fail.

Now on the NAMD side, you might want to run your minimization on a local
machine before you send to a cluster. You save queue time by checking if
the simulation runs before submitting the job. Also, running the
minimization on a smaller machine (or smaller node count) may avoid
communications issue that might surge from a not so optimal structure.

Best

João

--
João Vieira Ribeiro