Re: How to interpret Thermodynamic Integration output

From: Sadegh Faramarzi Ganjabad (safaramarziganjabad_at_mix.wvu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2018 - 14:13:03 CDT

Brian,

I read that paper, although they discuss the theory rather than the
procedure to calculate TI energies from the output data. Anyways, I simply
plotted 'AVGBOND1 + AVGELECT1 + AVGVDW1 - (AVGBOND2 + AVGELECT2 + AVGVDW2)'
vs. lambda values. The plot looks smooth for each lambda values, except for
some noises when moving from one lambda to the next one. Here are the
averages and errors of the cumulative averages for all 16 lambda values

76.9±2.0 , 24.0±1.5 , 20.6± 1.7, 20.4± 1.8 , 22.3± 1.8 ,
21.3± 2.6 , 21.5± 0.9 , 19.3± 1.0 , 16.6± 0.9 , 8.2± 0.9 ,
 -6.0± 1.5 , -21.2± 2.3 , -15.5± 2.6 , -32.2± 1.7 , -21.1±
1.8 , -32.5± 1.6

As seen from data, from lambda = 0.0625 to 0.125 there is a sharp decrease
in TI values (from 76.9 to 24.0). I was wondering

1. What would be possible reasons for the discontinuity near lambda=
[0-0.125]

2. How can I resolve it? if I am thinking of going back and running some
extra lambda values in between 0 and 0.125.

3. As seen from the data above, for lambda > 0.5 I get negative values for
TI. So I can't calculate the logarithm for those values like this plot on
the manual

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.10/ug/node64.html

should I consider the absolute values of TI?

4. Regardless of the integration method, the area below the plot obtained
from the data above will give me DeltaG of the whole process. Is that right?

Thanks,
Sadegh Faramarzi,
Research Assistant
West Virginia University, Department of Chemistry
Email:safaramarziganjabad_at_mix.wvu.edu