Re: Selecting waters from dynamics trajectory

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2018 - 17:05:43 CDT

Hi Randy,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Randy J. Zauhar <r.zauhar_at_usciences.edu>
wrote:

> Hi wise ones,

and wise-body-part ones, too.

> I know his has been asked before, but I could not get a coherent answer
> plowing through the thread I found.
>
> I am trying to simply extract all the waters from a trajectory within 5 A
> of my ligand, for every frame. Why does the code below not work?

In theory it should, but if the protein drifts significantly, I found it
more convenient to also translate the coordinates. Qwrap does that and the
wrapping symultaneously: https://github.com/jhenin/qwrap

At any rate, I would definitely try the selection through a graphical
representation to make sure.

> I have tried this with and without the pbc wrap, same result, have also
> modified the atom selection - I always get a waters that are far away (like
> ~18 A)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Randy
>
> ————————
> mol load psf 5U11_7PS.SWAP.CENTERED.XTALH2O.SOLVATED.IONIZED.psf dcd
> 5U11.SWAP.XTALH2O.RESTRAIN.EQUIL.dcd
> package require pbctools
> pbc wrap -all -compound res -center com -centersel "segname LIG"
>

> set fp [ open "activeSiteWaters4.txt" w ]
>

> set lastframe [ molinfo top get numframes ]
>

> for { set frame 1 } { $frame <= $lastframe } { incr frame 1 } {
>
> set select [ atomselect top "segname WT1 and oxygen within 5. of (segname
> LIG) " frame $frame ]

For speed, you could declare the selection outside the loop, and run
$select frame $frame. Also, don't forget $select delete at the end.

--
Giacomo Fiorin
http://goo.gl/Q3TBQU