Re: Python based tool for analysis of DCD trajectories

From: Brian Radak (brian.radak_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2018 - 08:41:16 CST

You are definitely correct in eschewing ASCII formats like XYZ for
large-scale analysis.

VMD is generally the recommended tool for trajectory analysis, substituting
a Tcl interface for Python. I understand that a lot of new users find this
a bit annoying since Python seems to be the tool of choice these days (I
certainly had the same opinion when I started out), but spending time to
learn Tcl can be advantageous and satisfying for a number of reasons (not
exhaustive):

1) it can naturally interface with the VMD back-end (vectorized and GPU
accelerated measurements, natural language selection, etc)
2) it has very good support for Tk and thus can be fairly easily converted
to a GUI plugin for yourself and/or posterity
3) Tcl is generally more portable than Python, especially if you want to
work with data remotely on supercomputers

Python still might be a good tool for your purposes, but VMD and Tcl may
also be an excellent choice.

Cheers,
BKR