Re: Ligand atoms moving too fast with FEP

From: Brian Radak (brian.radak_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2018 - 07:47:18 CST

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Brian:
>
> I generally don't recommend NpT simulations for FEP
>>

> I was following the tutorial, which in other quite similar cases worked
> well under NPT. At any event, as there is no membrane, which other type of
> simulation?

This is certainly just my opinion and not necessarily the prevailing
wisdom. My understanding is that NVT generally has about 5-10% better
performance. It should also give nearly identical results for a well chosen
density.

> I commonly make the mistake of not correctly flagging atoms in the PDB
>>

> I am prone to follow your experience with FEP, and I could easily mismatch
> those flags. But should that be corrected later?

I meant forgetting to flag an atom that should be included in the ligand.
That's just such a silly mistake that I look for it first (and has solved
the issue more times than I care to admit).

> make sure that you are flagging the atoms to start at the correct, fully
>> interacting, endpoint. Assuming you are scanning alchLambda 0 -> 1, the
>> flag should be -1, not 1.
>>

> I am at frwd-01.namd and filename.fep flags are -1.00
>
> Thanks for answering and beg pardon for what I might have misunderstood
> from your mail.
>
> francesco
>
> PS I had just submitted to the cluster a NPT MD with the FEP system and
> with ts=0.1fs to see what happens. Sometimes files run on inexpensive GPUs
> are not well transferable.

I'd be a bit surprised if the equilibrated inputs are just "no good" for
FEP. I guess you could minimize and randomize velociites before doing FEP?
I've personally never had a situation where the solution was to use a
smaller timestep during equilibration.