Re: Calculation of Diffusion coefficient

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2018 - 10:02:19 CST

Hi Souvik, FYI you may also want to take a look at the more recent papers
by Jeff Comer regarding computing permeabilities of small molecules across
a bilayer.

For something larger, like a peptide, you are definitely much more bound by
the PMF than by the differences in diffusion coefficient. This may be less
of a problem for you, because the diffusion coefficient changes by less
than an order of magnitude between lipid bilayers and bulk water.

As for recomputing the system force along the trajectory, you do have its
average already computed along the collective variable, given by the PMF
(is it converged?). Computing the system force as a function of time would
only help you in collecting diffusion data during the transient regime
before convergence. Re-running on the single-precision, sparsely collected
trajectories may not be of much help.

How about you simply take the last part of the ABF simulation, where the
biasing force doesn't change much due to convergence, and you assume a net
total force of zero on the variable?

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin