Re: Ways to find water molecules passing through the water channel in lipid bilayer

From: Bassam Haddad (bhaddad_at_pdx.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2018 - 18:46:46 CST

Hi Rabeta,

While this may not be the quickest approach, I would write a .tcl script
that does the following:

1. iterates through the frames of the simulation and outputs the *resid* of
any water molecule that penetrates the lipid bilayer, simply by selecting
..for example... set lip_wat [atomselect top "water and (z >
*lower_lipid_boundary* and z < *upper_lipid_boundary*)"] then print the
*resid*'s of the selection before moving to the next frame.
2. after all penetrating water molecules are identified, your script would
reiterate through the simulation and output the waters' oxygen coordinates
and time-step. you can then analyse that data to find the velocity of the
water molecules.

The script I attached is one I found while back for printing x,y,z
coordinates, it might be of some use to you.

~ Bassam