Re: What is the exact form of the harmonic potential used by the NAMD "constraints" option?

From: Brian Radak (bradak_at_anl.gov)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2017 - 08:30:20 CDT

This a worthwhile question - is this not in the user guide? I would
regard that as an oversight.

Looking at the code, the energy is computed as:

E = k(r - r_ref)**n

where n is the (positive integer) exponent and defaults to 2.

Something I did not now, but is probably of little consequence, is that
the memory optimized version of NAMD appears to ignore the force
constants in the reference file and instead reads them as simple boolean
flags. Otherwise k is computed as the value in the given PDB column
times constraintScaling.

HTH,

Brian

--