Re: [NAMD] How to build and simulate a periodic DNA in NAMD

From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2017 - 12:42:49 CDT

Hi Sebastian,
This sounds similar to the issues faced with periodic cellulose simulation. For cellulose, what you typically do is equilibrate at constant pressure for a little bit, but allow the motion of the periodic cell to differ along the cellulose axis and the non-cellulose axis. In NAMD parlance, this would require setting useFlexibibleCell and useConstantRatio. The initial z-axis dimension would be the length of your DNA (at least what you think it ought to be), and the x and y dimensions are set so you have enough of a water buffer. During equilibration, the DNA should sort itself out, assuming the helix is close to repeating at the length you are interested in.

-Josh