RE: [NAMD] How to build and simulate a periodic DNA in NAMD

From: Nielsen, Steven (steven.nielsen_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Sat May 06 2017 - 13:49:13 CDT

Hi Sebastian,

Adding a "patch" to your topology file is the easiest way.
In my case, which is for the helical RNA strand in the TMV virus,
I wanted to make the RNA strand infinitely long.
My "pgn" file looks like:
---------------------------------
package require psfgen
topology top_all27_prot_na_SON.inp
# add RNA
segment RNA {first none; last none; pdb rna.pdb}
coordpdb rna.pdb RNA
patch PBCrna RNA:1 RNA:150
guesscoord
regenerate angles dihedrals
guesscoord
writepdb x.pdb
writepsf x.psf
-----------------------------------

The key here is the patch command. My "PBCrna" patch, in the topology file, looks like:
PRES PBCrna 0.0
BOND 1P 2O3'

That's it!! The "regenerate" command generates the correct bends and dihedrals to
accompany the bond that I added. This patch adds a bond between atom "1P" on the
first RNA base and the atom "2O3'" on the last (#150) RNA base.

Note: in VMD the bond will be drawn across the box, but that is just how VMD displays
it, it really it across the PBC.

-Steve