Re: Problem with using autoPSF on TMCL lipid

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 16 2016 - 11:18:21 CST

Hello Saleh, TMCL is cardiolipin in the CHARMM naming scheme.

Keep in mind that only a handful of cardiolipin (1-2% molar fraction,
please check the literature) is present in the E Coli membrane.

The CHARMM-GUI server is an instrument that simplifies input creation, but
can never replace the best judgment of the investigator who is using it
(i.e., you). Specifically, it does not know what kind of simulation you
will perform.

If you decide to use a 100 Å x 100 Å bilayer, there will be maybe 3 or 5
cardiolipin molecules in the entire membrane. I leave it up to you to
decide whether their addition will positively affect your simulation. For
sure you will be forced to run longer than a few hundreds of ns, because
cardiolipin is a four-tail, 72-carbon behemoth that moves much more slowly
than the more common two-tail phospholipids.

There are of course published MD simulations of cardiolipin-containing
bilayers, but it's very rare to find any that were meaningful in terms of
bilayer size and simulation length.

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin