Re: Lowe-Andersen, Langevin and velocity rescaling thermostats (lipid bilayers)

From: Jeff Comer (jeffcomer_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2016 - 08:49:16 CDT

Dear Claire LOISON,

I would suggest if you have flows that you only use the Lowe-Andersen
thermostat. The Langevin thermostat has a preferred reference frame—it
does not conserve momentum and unrealistically suppresses flows.

It's interesting that you say "lipidic diffusion is perturbed by the
thermostat"? What leads you to this conclusion? Do you calculate
different diffusion coefficients for the lipids with and without the
thermostat? Keep in mind that lipid diffusion is very slow and you
usually need hundreds of nanoseconds of simulation (or a very large
system) to get reasonable statistics. A better solution might be to
decrease loweAndersenRate until the effects on quantities of interest
disappear.

Honestly, I've never seen artifacts from the Lowe-Andersen thermostat
with default parameters (vs. NVE simulations) in any of the tests I've
done. There are probably some better momentum-conserving thermostats
out there (see http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021999114006445),
but in NAMD, Lowe-Andersen is the only choice for simulating flows.

Regards,
Jeff

Jeffrey Comer, PhD
Assistant Professor
Institute of Computational Comparative Medicine
Nanotechnology Innovation Center of Kansas State
Kansas State University
Office: P-213 Mosier Hall
Phone: 785-532-6311