Re: Dielectric constant of water from MSM and PME simulations

From: Otello Maria Roscioni (otellomaria.roscioni_at_unibo.it)
Date: Mon Oct 26 2015 - 12:29:02 CDT

Dear Zhe, dear Axel,

it is very stimulating to receive such a detailed feedback on our
simulations and to discuss them with you.

First of all, I thank Axel for sharing his extensive benchmark of water
properties. Probably the different dielectric constants of bulk water
are a convergence issue. We will extend the production time by 60 ns for
both PME and MSM simulations, which hopefully should yield consistent
results.

Regarding the simulation of a thin-film of water, we wanted first to
exclude that we were doing no obvious mistakes with the simulation
set-up, since it was the first time we used the MSM method. If this is
not the case, we will proceed as follows.

As Zhu suggested, we will simulate a slab of water with MSM plus 3D
boundary conditions. For the sake of simplicity, we will consider from
now on a free-standing film of TIP3P-EW water with two harmonic
potential walls at around 2 nm from the water-vacuum interfaces.
We will also simulate the same system with the PME and MSM-2D methods.

For what concerns the calculation of the dielectric constant, it could
well be that the classic formula for tin-foil boundary conditions does
not hold in the MSM-2D scenario. In this case, I hope the simulations of
the free-standing films with the PME, MSM-2D and MSM-3D methods to
provide some hints.

Meanwhile, we can implement the calculation of the dielectric constant
using the formula 26.3.3D from Prof. Neumann paper for the case where
eps_RF = eps.

Talk back to you soon.
Best wishes,

Otello

--
Otello M. Roscioni, PhD
Dipartimento di Chimica Industriale "Toso Montanari"
Università di Bologna
Viale Risorgimento 4
40136 Bologna, Italy