Re:

From: Zhe Wu (zephyrbless_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 21 2015 - 14:16:02 CDT

Hi Mattia,

Could you specify how you calculate the dielectric constant? The dielectric constant of TIP3P-EW water is 89 (D. J. Price, C. L. Brooks, J. Chem. Phys. 2004, 121, 10096), while you are getting 96.8 with PME and 83.3 with MSM. You can find the way we calculated the dielectric constant on page 773 of our JCTC paper.

It is very surprising to see a dielectric constant of water to be 258. How is the water structure? With such a large dielectric constant, the water structure should be very unphysical.

Also, could you give us a little bit more details about your VDW cutoff scheme? As reported in TIP3P-EW’s original paper, a model that incorporates a long-range correction for truncated VDW will give a dielectric constant of 76 instead of 89. Are you using the same cutoff scheme for both PME and MSM?

Hopefully, the above helps.

Best,
Zhe

Zhe Wu
Klaus Schulten's Group,
Postdoc Fellow in NSF's Center for the Physics of Living Cells,
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Beckman Institute, RM 3125,
405 N. Mathews Ave. Urbana, IL 61820
Office: 217-224-3160