compile psfgen as shared object or Tcl package?

From: Brian Radak (brian.radak.accts_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2015 - 15:47:27 CST

I know that it is possible to load psfgen as a Tcl package into VMD:

package require psfgen

and that a similar trick can be pulled in NAMD by loading the shared object
file:

load (install_library_dir)/plugins/LINUXAMD64/tcl/psfgen1.6/libpsfgen.so

but this requires that both VMD and NAMD be installed. I assume that the
psfgen binaries/source distributed with VMD and NAMD are essentially the
same, so is it possible to compile the psfgen distributed with NAMD to
create the same shared object file? Or (and perhaps this is related) can
NAMD be made aware of psfgen as a package? I'm not a Tcl expert, but I
suspect the latter would be more robust.

Thanks,
Brian

--
Brian Radak