Re: Histidine C-H---O hydrogen bonding

From: eprates_at_iqm.unicamp.br
Date: Thu Jan 29 2015 - 11:36:33 CST

Hi Josh!

I have put the proton in the epsilon nitrogen, that is actually closer
to the oxygen available to be the acceptor on a hydrogen bond then the
other nitrogen. Then, I don't see the histidine flipping in order to
set this expected interaction. Instead, the hydrogen from the carbon
stays persistently directed to the oxygen (an average of 2.5 A
distant). Meanwhile, the unprotonated nitrogen stays interacting with
a water molecule.

In the paper I mentioned and in others I have found, it seems they
assume this kind of interaction can be important when the imidazole is
charged.. but not when neutral (like in my case).

Actually this is not really important in my study, but I got curious about it!

Best
Erica