Re: NAMD and usable FFs

From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2014 - 16:41:59 CDT

Again to CGenFF after a long while, I was terrorized by the complexity of
symbols for atom types of organic molecules (protein ligands). Also, for
ligands not too far away from purine bases, CGenFF performed quite naively,
for example, giving a single Kb for bonds, while antechamber gave correctly
much higher Kb for C=O than C-C. So, I built bonds, angles, dih, impr from
antechamber. Then, apart from the problem of charmm-type partial charges, I
know how to move from antechamber to charmm with the obsolete all27 and
all22, I have to think about using all36 here. I must admit that I never
spent adequate time in learning how to parameterize organic ligands by
analogy in the charmm world. I tried a couple of times ffTK just to be on
an absolute basis, a very nice suite but extremely time consuming. Nothing
good comes for little, however. At any event, moving from the old
organization of charmm ff to all36 is quite convincing from your reasoning,
that getting no MD crash is no assurance per se to be on the right way.
Straightforward with normal proteins, the problems come with organic
ligands, not to say with metalloproteins. In that respect, which is nearly
the norm for me, amber offers easier tools, although renumbering residues
makes life difficult in case of multimers.
Thanks a lot to you and Josh.
francesco