Re: Folic acid parameters

From: Kenno Vanommeslaeghe (kvanomme_at_rx.umaryland.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2014 - 11:37:03 CDT

2 obligatory warnings, both of which have been brought up on this list
several times over the last year or so. I wonder why these things keeps
popping up...

- You probably don't want to simulate folic acid in isolation, but rather
in interaction with something else, typically a protein. If you wish to
represent the protein by Amber, you should use GAFF/Antechamber for folic
acid and nothing else. If you wish to represent the protein by CHARMM, you
should use CGenFF for folic acid and nothing else. Never mix-and-match
different force fields in the same simulation system! As for DREIDING,
there does not exist a DREIDING protein force field, and it's not even
parameterized towards the liquid phase AFAIK, so I don't think it would be
the right choice for the job.

- Similarly, Swissparam's approach of combining CHARMM L-J
parameters with MMFF94 charges and dihedrals is fundamentally flawed.
While it might be acceptable for the high-throughput applications it is
aimed at (such as force field-base docking), I wouldn't touch it with a
10-foot pole for serious MD work.
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/mailing_list/namd-l.2013-2014/0846.html
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/mailing_list/namd-l.2013-2014/0893.html
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/mailing_list/namd-l.2013-2014/1250.html