Re: expected speed up after fixing atoms?

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2014 - 14:07:32 CDT

Yes, that's true that there isn't a point in calculating the forces between
two atoms that are both fixed. It may be that NAMD will bypass that, but I
think that it may currently not be coded that way. The reason being, that
in general, a situation where it would actually be beneficial would almost
never arise in a reasonable simulation.

For instance, say you have 10,000 atoms, and you want to fix 1000 of them.
The total number of atom-atom interactions (assuming no cutoff) is
10,000^2, and the total number you could potentially save if the
fixed-fixed ones were ignored is 1000^2. In that case, you are only saving
on 1% of the calculations. So, implementing a check for the atoms being
fixed, which itself will take some compute time, isn't really worthwhile
until you have quite a substantial amount of the system fixed, at which
point, you are quite likely simulating something so unphysical that the
results may not be meaningful anyway.

--
Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student