efficient way to apply time-dependent electric field

From: Azadeh Alavi (azade.alavi_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2014 - 05:38:12 CDT

Hello everyone

I intend to apply time-dependent external electric field to my system. I
have used the Tcl Boundary forces for this purpose, however, the
simulations run very slowly (nearly 3 times). So I tried to use the
'eFieldOn' command with a specified 'eFieldFreq' option, which runs pretty
fast.

In the user's guide there is not any explanation about eFieldFreq or
eFieldFreq in the External Electric Field section but when you apply
eFieldOn, they appear in the log file although they might be zero if you
apply a constant electric field. So my question is whether it is an
efficient way to apply such time-varying electric field. Also, I do not
know which mathematical function it uses to change the electric field with
time (Sin(wt), Cos(wt) or other). I have tried this field on a system of
two ions in water and it seems that an alternating electric field is
applying, but I am quite sure about using it yet.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Azadeh