AW: AW: Xeon vs i7 and ECC vs SDRAM

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2014 - 00:59:13 CDT

It's not only about the CPU, but the workstation concept itself that can
make a difference regarding lifetime, reliability and administration
abilities. A consumer !!PC!! is _NOT_ build to run 24/7 and one might
painfully notice sooner or later. This can include the following problems:

- low cost parts (mostly cheap capacitors)
- power supply at output limit (really often)
- insufficient cooling (especially with some dust inside)
- lack of administration abilities (BIOS, BMC, MCE)
- no ECC
- no RAM cooling (usually)
- low cost heat sink paste (CPU's getting hotter with time)
- low quality material connectors (oxidation, weird hardware problems)
- limited support for expansion cards (Tesla, MIC, Infiniband)
- no warranty expansion, low warranty services
- no warranty for 24/7

Norman Geist.

---