Re: AW: Xeon vs i7 and ECC vs SDRAM

From: Gianluca Interlandi (gianluca_at_u.washington.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2014 - 01:14:48 CDT

Dear Norman,

Thanks for your explanations. I think that I am leaning towards the Xeon
server. I am still undecided though about the video card. Lenovo gives me
only choices of NVIDIA quadro for their Thinkstation, but I'm not sure it
is worth it to spend $700 more for the K4000 (or $400 for K2000). If I'm
just using it for visualization (no CUDA computing) does it bring any
advantage to have anything faster than e.g., a quadro K600? Later on, if I
want to do any CUDA computing I can always add an inexpensive GeForce GTX
card.

The alternative is to replace the quadro card that comes with the
Thinkstation with a higher end GeForce GTX right from the beginning, but
I'm not sure whether it is worth it, if I'm only using it for VMD
visualization (max 200,000 atoms).

Thanks!

      Gianluca