Re: Rapid and accurate parameterization of new molecules in CHARMM

From: Kenno Vanommeslaeghe (kvanomme_at_rx.umaryland.edu)
Date: Wed May 28 2014 - 10:35:07 CDT

On 05/27/2014 08:22 PM, Aaron Larsen wrote:
> I'd like to evaluate many small hypothetical modifications.

Define "small". Sure, adding or subtracting a methyl or ethyl group to or
from an existing ring in the NA FF would qualify as small, but I'd be hard
pressed to come up with 100+ such modifications. Conversely, if you're
going to change elements or saturation/oxidation states in the ring, its
character changes completely and you're well outside the coverage of the
NA FF and in CGenFF territory.

Also, actual parameter optimization on 100+ molecules will presumably take
more than a month even when using one of the automated interfaces. I'd say
give paramchem.org a try. If some of the proposed molecules get warnings
or really bad penalties, you can still decide whether to run them through
ffTK or skip them.