Re: FixedAtoms and Reference group in spinangle colvar

From: nicolas martin (nicolasmartin973_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2014 - 06:21:02 CDT

Dear all, drear Giacomo,

As you advised me, I decided to move on with a new molecule, ethyl-benzene.
Same as before concerning my purpose. I define here the rotation axis for
the spinangle as the bond between the atom on the ring and the next to it
which is the first of the ethyl moiety. So I compute the free energy of the
rotation of the final carbon (my selection is actually final carbon the one
before and the 2 H on it) of the ethyl group around the bound defined
beforehand. I must admit that I have no more fitting problems in VMD so I
guess no more in the refgroup fitting if they are both using the same
algorithm.

But I came up with a new problem. I can observe a shift on the PMF (see
file attached) between both methods I used, dihedral and spinangle. If I'm
right, the way I set everything should lead me to the same profile. But I'm
concerned with one detail. Since the center of geometry of my selection to
compute the spinangle (the last part of my ethyl moeity) is not exactly on
the axis defined beforehand, the axis will be first shifted to go through
this center of geometry and might this somehow interact with the rotation
energy ? I have checked the applied forces and can't get anything relevant
for my problem out of it. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for you help

--089e0160b420e1a9a404f9fb4ede--