Re:

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2014 - 13:47:48 CDT

In general, it seems from the wording of your question that maybe you are
missing a lot of basic information concerning thermodynamics, and your line
of questioning may change a lot by spending some time learning some of
those fundamentals.

In particular, computing the free energy an entire system, and then
deleting a portion of it and recalculating, is in many cases, nearly
meaningless. You've not just reorganized the system (which would be
meaningful) but actually made a different system, and are now comparing two
different things. But maybe that wasn't where you were headed. At any
rate, brushing up on the basics might allow you to formulate a less vague
or confusing question.

--
Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student