Re: VDW energy: positive or negative?

From: Kenno Vanommeslaeghe (kvanomme_at_rx.umaryland.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2014 - 17:21:12 CST

Since we're using CHARMM parameter files, your statement that "the choice
of positive values vs. negative values is just pedagogical" is not
entirely correct. As senior CHARMM developer Lennart Nilsson pointed out:

> The negative sign in the CHARMM parameter file is just a convention
> indicating that the LJ parameters are given as epsilon and rmin/2. In the
> parameter file there are three values for the LJ parameters, and if the
> second one is negative they have the following meanings: ignored,
> -epsilon, rmin/2.
> If the second value is positive (a form which is not used today):
> polarizability, effective number of outer shell electrons, rmin/2. See
> appendix I in J Comp Chem 4:187.

Of course, this doesn't invalidate anything else you wrote, though I
didn't think Panagiota actually believed the negative sign implied an
upside-down L-J potential, which would obviously be catastrophically
unstable. Surely, he or she realized that if that were the case, we
wouldn't be putting all-negative values in our parameter files. We're not
stupid. Stupid is as stupid does. (Hmm, I wonder if forrest.gump_at_gmail.com
is already taken.)