Re: SOD topology with CHARMM36

From: Kenno Vanommeslaeghe (kvanomme_at_rx.umaryland.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2014 - 12:27:08 CST

The rationale behind this is that people simulating e.g. RNA folding need
waters and ions, but not protein parameters. In other words, CHARMM36 has
been made modular. Unfortunately, we realized too late that while this
modularity works with CHARMM, it doesn't work with NAMD. The reason for
this is that toppar_water_ions.str contains NBFIXes between sodium and all
carboxylates in the different parts of the force field, so *all* parts of
the force field that contain carboxylate groups need to be read into NAMD
prior to toppar_water_ions_namd.str , else it crashes. In this context, it
would probably be nice if the error emitted when encountering an NBFIX
with an undefined atom type would be made nonfatal.

A little bit more end-user-oriented info here:
http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/~kenno/cgenff/program.html#namd