Is there any point in running NAMD over an ethernet-linked cluster?

From: Douglas Houston (DouglasR.Houston_at_ed.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2014 - 06:18:25 CDT

Hi all,

It was my understanding that NAMD is at least somewhat parallelisable
across an ordinary ethernet-linked cluster of nodes. Is this not the
case?

Can anyone on this mailing list tell me if they have successfully
noted a speed increase by running NAMD across an ethernet-linked
cluster vs. a single node?

If so, could they please list their network hardware, e.g. ethernet
cards, switch, number of nodes, cores per node, size of system
benchmarked, etc. I can't find any mention of recommended ethernet
hardware in the documentation.

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

cheers,
Doug

Dr. Douglas R. Houston
Lecturer
Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology
Room 3.23, Michael Swann Building
King's Buildings
University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, EH9 3JR, UK
Tel. 0131 650 7358
http://tinyurl.com/douglasrhouston

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.