Re: Cost of a colvar calculation

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2014 - 10:56:45 CDT

This isn't surprising, there are two factors leading to your poorer than
average results:

1) The RMSD colvar is a particularly computationally intensive one, since
it not only requires the calculation of the RMSD, but also the alignment to
the reference at every step. If you redo this test with a simpler colvar
like distance, or something intermediate like radius of gyration, you'll
get much less slow-down.

2) You are using a lot of cores. The colvar calculation occurs (at least
the last time I looked into these things) on a single core, so its speed is
more or less set and is a kind of upper limit on what you can expect. So
when you add cores to the rest of the calculation, you eventually hit the
wall at how long the colvar calculation takes.

If you want to improve things, don't use so many atoms in the colvar. For
instance, you could use just the C-alphas, or even every other or every
third C-alpha. This will likely give you a dramatic improvement.

--
Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student