RE: Nanotube Simulation

From: Samoylova, Olga M. (Olga_Samoylova_at_baylor.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2014 - 09:49:31 CDT

Hi Miro,
try this:

You can use the script make_arm.tcl to build armchair cnt (see tutorial http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/science/nanotubes/)

if you would like to use VMD nanotube builder, after you built cnt, open Tk console and type:
            animate write psf cnt.psf
            animate write pdb cnt.pdb

Then you may want to fix this psf and make cnt-xplor.psf (This is depends on version of VMD you using. In my case I had to do this. Thank you, Axel, I found this help in one of your mails in vmd-l mailing list). In Tk console:

             mol new cnt.psf waitfor all
             mol addfile cnt.pdb waitfor all

             set sel [atomselect top all]
             $sel set segid CNT

             animate write psf cnt-xplor.psf waitfor all
             animate write pdb cnt-xplor.pdb waitfor all

Next, you need to delete impropers from your psf file. Edit the line for impropers:

              0 !NIMPHI: impropers

Now your .psf ready for namd simulations.

PS. I have a question to more experienced audience. Am I right if I put 0 for impropers? I just compared the .psf files created by the script make_arm.tcl (no impropers) and psf file from vmd nanotube builder (which has improper parameters even if i didn't choose impropers in topology building options). If I try to run simulations with impropers I have error about these parameters. If I put 0 - everything works. I would appreciate any advice about it.

Thank you very much!

Olga