Re: VDW energy: positive or negative?

From: PANAGIOTA KYRIAKOU (kyria008_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2014 - 18:24:54 CST

Thank you

My question was mostly generated by the following statement in the post:

"many water models are built with their VDW energy repulsive at the total
energy minimum"

However when I checked the parameter files I use ( CHARMM 36), the epsilon
values are negative, so the statement above is not true.

I was wondering under what conditions this can be true, since it could
simply justify the positive sign of the total VDW energy..

Giota

Panagiota Kyriakou

Graduate Student

Dept. of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science

University of Minnesota

email: kyria008_at_umn.edu