VDW energy: positive or negative?

From: PANAGIOTA KYRIAKOU (kyria008_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2014 - 17:20:53 CST

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could give me a rigid and detailed explanation
of why the VDW energy is positive in many systems (while the total energy
is negative), such as a protein in a solvated box? I read at a previous
post that it is related to the water model (
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/mailing_list/namd-l.2005-2006/3358.html
).
Could someone provide some more details on this issue?

This is a general question and not specific to a simulation run , so this
is why I am not including any input/output files.

Giota

Panagiota Kyriakou

Graduate Student

Dept. of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science

University of Minnesota

email: kyria008_at_umn.edu