Re: AW: RE: Strange glitches when performing energy minimization in MDFF simulations

From: Tristan Croll (tristan.croll_at_qut.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2014 - 02:22:47 CST

Hi Norman,

Yes - but I've seen at least two cases now where the resultant fluctuations have been extreme enough to cause a trans/cis or chirality flip. These may be the best case - watching this in detail reveals some substantial local distortion by the time it settles, which simply wouldn't get noticed in a structure of a few thousand residues but nevertheless may impact substantially on the trajectory. I watched one water molecule get hit by a flailing side-chain atom, and finally come to rest over 100A away.

It seems that the root of the problem is that under some conditions, the minimizer will hit a resonance when trying to settle the length of particular bonds and enter a positive feedback loop which rapidly climbs to very big motions. I watched closely as this happened in the CD-OE bond on an Asn residue, and have posted instructions on how to replicate the behaviour to NAMD-l (it hasn't come through yet). Briefly, pick a big (few hundred k atoms) simulation, deliberately move the OE atom on an Asn residue 1A or so, then compare in AutoIMD what happens as you minimize in a 10A radius simulation vs a 50A radius.

Cheers,

Tristan

Tristan Croll
Lecturer
Faculty of Science and Technology
Institute of Health and Biomedical Engineering
Queensland University of Technology
60 Musk Ave
Kelvin Grove QLD 4059 Australia
+61 7 3138 6443

This email and its attachments (if any) contain confidential information intended for use by the addressee and may be privileged. We do not waive any confidentiality, privilege or copyright associated with the email or the attachments. If you are not the intended addressee, you must not use, transmit, disclose or copy the email or any attachments. If you receive this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original email.