Fwd: colvars with replica exchange molecular dynamics

From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2014 - 10:40:22 CST

Hi Giacomo:
Back to BluegeneQ for T-REMD with colvars. I carried out other debug runs
with the same system of peptide under GB, non periodic, 32 replicas, temp
interval 300-600K.

job0 (with standard replica.namd file) was carried out correctly, rmsd
colvars
  rmsd {
     atoms {
       # add all the C-alphas within residues 41 to 48 of segment "P1"
        psfSegID P1
       atomNameResidueRange CA 41-48
     }
     refPositionsFile npt-01_autopsf.pdb }
}

# apply harmonic potential to the "rmsd" variable
# with center on zero
# colvars and centers should both be lists, appearing only once in the block

harmonic {

  name P2i_harmonic

  colvars { colvar1 }

  centers 0.0

  forceConstant 100.0
}

being transferred into each replica for restarting, such as for replica 0:

fold_P2i.job0.0.colvars.state

The folder /output contains the file "fold_P2ijob0.restart.100.tcl", which
reads:

set i_job 1
set i_run 100
set i_step 10000
set restart_root output/%s/fold_P2i.job0.restart100
i.e., for restarting with job1, but without anything about colvars.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On restarting with job1, I added colvarsInput to replica.namd, in analogy
to indications for umbrella sampling, as follows;

if {$i_run} { #restart
  bincoordinates $restart_root.$replica_id.coor
  binvelocities $restart_root.$replica_id.vel
  extendedSystem $restart_root.$replica_id.xsc
  colvarsInput $restart_root.$replica_id.colvars.state
} else {
  temperature $NEWTEMP
}

The error is now clear, in the sense that it occurs on all replicas, for
example replica 17 log file ends with:
colvars: Initializing a new "harmonic" instance.
colvars: # name = P2i_harmonic
colvars: # colvars = { colvar1 }
colvars: # outputEnergy = off [default]
colvars: # forceConstant = 100
colvars: # centers = { 0 }
colvars: # targetCenters = { 0 } [default]
colvars: # targetForceConstant = 0 [default]
colvars: # outputCenters = off [default]
colvars: # outputAccumulatedWork = off [default]
colvars:
colvars: Collective variables biases initialized, 1 in total.
colvars:
colvars: Error: in opening restart file
"output/17/fold_P2i.job0.restart100.17.colvars.state".
colvars: If this error message is unclear, try recompiling with
-DCOLVARS_DEBUG.
FATAL ERROR: Error in the collective variables module: exiting.

The same for other replicas, with their specific number in place of 17.
certain replicas ended at "colvars: Collective variables biases
initialized, 1 in total." just before the message of error. Showing the
error or not occurs randomly.

The little I can understand is that the trick I used does not pass
correctly the information about colvarsInput to the system. Standard
replica.namd does not work at all for restarting a T-REMD with colvars.

Ask me please any other information about what I did, or suggest what I
could try in addition.

Thanks
francesco pietra