Re: whidth value of orientation in colvars

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2014 - 16:20:45 CST

Orientation has quaternion values on the 4-dimensional unit sphere, and the
distance between two different orientations is the angle between the two
quaternions on that sphere (in radians). Because of symmetry a quaternion
and its opposite are the same rotation so a 30¡Æ rotation will be 15¡Æ away
from the quaternion that represents the identity (convert in radians of
course).

See the following paper and the Coutsias reference therein:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00268976.2013.813594

Bests
Giacomo