Re: Protein-ligand affinity

From: Kenno Vanommeslaeghe (kvanomme_at_rx.umaryland.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2013 - 15:50:25 CDT

If the potential energy (electrostatic or otherwise) is *exactly* zero,
without fluctuations in function of simulation time, it is almost certain
the user did something terribly wrong.

Additionally, the specific quantity the user is trying to calculate
(static potential energy of binding with (implicit) vacuum reference
state) is almost always significantly negative (barring a very bad choice
of interacting residues); little or nothing can be concluded from the
absolute value.