Re: Can a small langevinDamping coefficient lead to 'ERROR: atoms moving too fast'?

From: Jose Borreguero (borreguero_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2013 - 16:25:38 CDT

I equilibrated the system for 2ns and then ran in the NVE. As it turns out,
energy is not conserved but increases rapidly! I don't know what I'm doing
wrong, I have set 1fs time steps, no rigid bonds, update the electrostatics
and pair list every fs!

One possible cause might be the non-cubic periodic boundary conditions. It
could be that I have clashes between atoms in adjacent cell images because
the boundary conditions are incorrect. How could I check for this
possibility?

Here's my input file for NVE simulations:

amber on ;# use Amber FF, expect to read a PARM7
file
switching off ;# do not use switching
exclude scaled1-4 ;# 1-4 interactions are scaled by scnb and
1-4scaling, 1-3 interactions are ignored
1-4scaling 0.833333333 ;# scaling factor for 1-4 electrostatic
interaction(0.833333333=1.0/1.2)
scnb 2.0 ;# 1-4 vdW interactions are divided by
scnb
readexclusions yes ;# read exclusion lists from the PARM7 file
LJcorrection off ;# analytical tail correction to reported
vdW energy
ZeroMomentum on ;# remove center of mass drift due to PME

set inputname eq0 ;# prefix for input files
set outputname eq1 ;# prefix for output files

parmfile crystal.prmtop ;# topology (AMBER)
coordinates crystal.pdb
bincoordinates $inputname.restart.coor
binvelocities $inputname.restart.vel # set this if no temperature is
declared

margin 0.5 ;#(default 0.0) extra length in patch dimension, neccessary when
box volume changes fast

cutoff 12.0 ;# may use smaller, maybe 10., with PME
switchdist 10.0 ;# cutoff - 2.
pairlistdist 14.0 ;# cutoff + 2. Promise that atom won't move
more than 2A in a cycle
stepspercycle 1 ;# redo pairlists every X steps (10 for
equilibrium simulations)

timestep 1 ;# 1fs/step
rigidBonds none ;# needed to record vibrations of bonds
involving hydrogens
nonbondedFreq 1 ;# nonbonded forces every step
fullElectFrequency 1 ;# PME only every other step

extendedSystem $inputname.restart.xsc ;# extended info file

wrapWater off ;# wrap water to central cell
wrapAll off ;# wrap other molecules too
wrapNearest off ;# set to 'on' for non-rectangular cells when using
wrapWater or wrapAll

PME off
PMEGridSpacing 1.0
PMEGridSizeX 45
PMEGridSizeY 45
PMEGridSizeZ 45

outputName $outputname ;# prefix for output files
restartfreq 10000 ;# overwrite restart file every Xsteps
DCDUnitCell yes ;# write unit cell data to DCD file
dcdfreq 1000 ;# write coords every Xsteps
xstFreq 80000 ;# write extended trajectory every Xsteps
#forceDCDfreq 100 ;# trajectory of atom forces every Xsteps
outputEnergies 10000
outputPressure 10000

firsttimestep 0 ;# reset frame counter
run 8000000 ;# 8ns