Re: Overestimated PMF

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2013 - 14:13:09 CDT

Hi Felipe,

I'd say from what you've written that the problem is almost certainly
convergence/equilibration. I understand the windows are close together and
build off of the previous simulation, but your system (from my imagining of
what you've said) involves a lot of contacts and therefore a large number
of degrees of freedom. I really doubt that 6.75ns is enough time for those
many degrees of freedom to relax.

You mention that by using the later bits the dG decreases, but didn't get
all the way to a reasonable value. Can you extrapolate on that analysis
and see what dG you might expect for 100ns long windows (that is the
ballpark in which I would expect you to start getting reasonable results)?

Also, what force constant are you using? It seems from your window spacing
like it is extremely high, but you say the dG shouldn't be that high, so
this again suggests to me an equilibration problem. That is, you maybe
initially tried a reasonable force constant like 5 kcal/mol with 0.5
angstrom spacings, but the windows were not becoming evenly distributed
along the reaction coordinate, so you upped the force constant, when really
the problem was slow equilibration, and now that problem still exists, but
is masked by your very high force constant and low spacings.

The best quick test at this point would be to take the a single window that
is somewhere on the steepest part of the "unbinding" portion of your PMF
(that is probably ~ an angstrom from your minimum) and rerun it from a
different starting point (say, the initial equilibration, rather than the
last part of the previous window). Then, take the histogram of the
reaction coordinate from that window and the original (say 20-40 bins or
so), integrate, and see how different they are (i.e. by area). I'd bet
they are more than 5% different, in which case you would be hard pressed to
say with good confidence that they are the same.

~Aron

--
Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student