AW: fixed atom/Constraint failure in RATTLE algorithm/

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2013 - 02:01:10 CDT

Mehran,

you are right, constant pressure simulations with fixed atoms run into
problem often, but usually if these atoms are near the box boundaries, as
the box can't shrink then and will come with a message like "Periodic cell
has become too small for original patch grid". The problem you face may
happen due the coordinate rescaling which comes with changing the box size.
Here the fixed atoms can't be rescaled and so atoms will get moved into each
other what causes high repulsion forces which unload as huge velocities and
blow apart your molecular system. It's a good idea to equilibrate your box
density/pressure first, before starting the pulling stuff. Maybe modifying
the barostats "period" and "decay" times to a smoother timescale could also
work, so that the cell fluctuation amplitude is lower and a higher decay
time would let the system relax to the new pressure conditions.

Good luck

Norman Geist.