AW: NamdMemoryReduction - genCompressedPsf

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2013 - 02:50:33 CDT

Hi Sridhar,

I guess I know what the problem is. It seems that you confused a cluster as
“one machine” which is not true. The output you posted says you are using 32
physical nodes, which points to a cluster, maybe a IBM super computer. But
it’s not one machine, it’s a cluster. And here’s the problem. Some parts of
the initialization phase of namd are only done at one processor, mostly
zero, and this processor needs more ram to read your huge files. So this
single processor cannot use the distributed memory of a cluster in the way
it is currently implemented in namd.

You should try to find a node that has enough local memory available.

Another, but unlikely, option would be the malloc() command. If it has the
same weakness in c++ as it had in fortran, it can only allocate 2GB at once,
as the input parameter is a signed int, but that’s really unlikely, IMHO
it’s the local memory.

How big is this psf file?

Best wishes

Norman Geist.