Re: About PLUMED with NAMD VMD

From: davide branduardi (davide.branduardi_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2013 - 02:41:14 CST

Hi Francesco,

I just can reply for what I know from the PLUMED side.

1) The public version of PLUMED does not contain the patch for namd2.9
    I have a private one which is under testing. If you want to give a
try contact me privately.
    In the next future a new release of PLUMED will be out and there
we hope to include namd2.9 as well.
    Concerning the CUDA version I don't know if it's compatible. Never
tried myself. I suspect that it is but
    depending on what you're doing with PLUMED, you can have some
overhead which might
    serialize your code and kill efficiency. For simple variables
there is minimal overhead.
2) Plumed deals with free energy methods. You can have a look to the
manual at http://www.plumed-code.org/
    or https://sites.google.com/site/plumedtutorial2010/
3) Concerning its advantage over NAMD implementation my opinion is
that you have to dig into both their manuals to see which
    one contains the features that you're looking for to succeed in
your project. But probably Giacomo can comment more on this.
Hope that helps.

Davide