Re: Orientation colvar + metadynamics questions

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2013 - 10:10:24 CST

Yeah, that distance is simply the angle w (in radians) between Q1 and Q2 as
unit vectors in R^4. Because of the symmetry, the actual distance is the
lower number between w and (pi - w), so as Jérôme already said, values of
the distance range from 0 to pi/2.

Benjamin: apart from the lack of grids, no problems using quaternions for
metadynamics, if you need a completely isotropic variable. Check however
if you could simplify it by ignoring e.g. one axis of rotation and using
tilt and/or spinAngle.

Regarding the grid implementation of the PMF: a grid for the energy (scalar
function of a quaternion variable) is a bit complex, but doable. For
instance, you can find in the literature that people use multiple 3-d
projections of the 4-d unit sphere, switching from one projection to the
other to preserve the resolution. Also, because the metadynamics PMF is
essentially a histogram, the symmetry is automatically taken care of, by
incrementing the grid's value at both locations, Q and (-Q).

However, things start getting messier with the grid for the energy
gradients (quaternion function of a quaternion variable...).

Essentially, if you can live with the performance loss of using explicit
gaussian functions instead of the grid, I think your best bet is to get the
quaternion values from the colvars.traj file, and calculate the histogram
(i.e. the PMF) choosing the 3-d projection that it's best for your case. I
can send you a python script for that, if you like.

Bests
Giacomo