Re: AW: vmd-l: AMD vs. nvidia support

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2013 - 09:10:52 CST

I've not used an AMD GPU for any calculations, but I have tried OpenCL
instead of CUDA with the OpenMM MD library, and in that case the
performance is comparable. So, at least the language is not limiting as it
once was. Would certainly be interesting to see how the performance
compares, I think the architectures are fairly different.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 2:05 AM, Norman Geist <
norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de> wrote:

> Jerome,
>
> as far as I know, without rewriting the NAMD code, you can't use it with
> AMD(ATI) GPUs. NAMD is written in CUDA which belongs to Nvidia. AMD cards
> won't run CUDA code. A language both types of GPUs work with is openCl. But
> CUDA is faster than openCl on Nvidia GPUs. So there can't barely be a
> person with experience in running namd on GPUs other than Nvidia.
>
> Norman Geist.

Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student
Department of Chemistry