Re: About the scope of show_replicas.vmd

From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2013 - 02:33:19 CDT

Hi Niklaus:

What I am trying to do is defining the conformation of starting and ending
parts of a homotrimer. These portions, 34aa and 12aa for each subunit in
our hands do not diffract adequately under x-ray at low temp. So, I guess
that the energy barriers are low. This is why my hope to get that type of
T-remd convergence I alluded to. Once modeled, those parts should be
replaced in the original (by superimposing a rmsd-colvars restrained small
helical portion).

Computer time does matter for me indeed, as I am trying to accomplish the
investigation under a fixed budget. I first tried the 34aa in TIP3 water
but the request of hardware, in terms of physical nodes, was too high to
fix "Stray PME grid charges detected" that was raised. Therefore, I changed
to implicit GB, following other-people idea that most of the resources for
explicit waster T-remd are wasted with swapping water interactions. GB runs
fast, however I don't know if is as good as with latest adjustment of
parameters for amber (C. Simmerling 2013).

Clearly, I need a test of convergence that is not that provided by
"show_replicas.vmd". I wonder whether the collection of replicas obtained
with show_replicas.vmd could in place be elaborated, such as for measuring
RMSD for the various replicas against the initial unfolded situation. Just
to have a measure of how much the various replicas differ from one another.
As I am using 32 replicas (0.7 exchange ratio), the matter is rather
tricky. With 16 replicas the exchange ratio is still very good (0.4) but
the computer time saved is minimal (and I pay the same as for 32 replicas).
I hope that convergence is faster with 32 replicas. As a biochemist, I
never engaged myself in extensive coding, while it would be probably not
too difficult to adapt show_replicas.vmd to the task. I have also thought
to move to namd_2.10, where remd is built in, so that it should be faster.

cheers
francesco