Re: [MetaD; namd 2.9] Pmf output file problem once the CV boundaries are reached, even using "expandBoundaries on"

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2012 - 18:41:02 CST

Hi, yes, I believe that there is a small issue there with the output of the
pmf, but not with the state file. So the feature works for continuing a
simulation, the problem comes out when generating a PMF for plotting
purposes. I'm currently investigating this issue, but first I wanted to
reply to the other questions.

Yes, it is a very good practice to set wide boundaries, and no, there is no
noticeable additional cost at runtime. So always pad each boundary with
some extra margin, at the very least the size of one or two gaussians in
each direction (i.e. add or subtract 2*width to the respective boundary).

The state files get bigger, but may be zipped to a tiny size.

Also, you may want to artificially confine the variable by setting suitable
values for lowerWall and upperWall, to guarantee that the variable never
goes near lowerBoundary or upperBoundary (the grid boundaries).

Bests
Giacomo